Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Updated Clickbank Policy

Well, like they say...nothing stays the same forever. Clickbank, which is probably the largest affiliate marketplace, has just made changes to their policy. Just so you aren't running your business in the dark, I'm going to fill you in on some of the highlights. Hopefully, you'll just read the whole thing when you log into your account for the first time after the change.
I guess I should start with that much. Yes, when you log in next, you will be forced to read the new policy. They say that this is required any time there are major changes made. Now, it would have been nice if they could have just filled me in on the high points right from the start, but that would have been way too easy. After you log in, you WILL see a little notice that says what the changes are. Anyway, here goes.
The first change is that Clickbank is now referring to all "publishers" as vendors. I'm not really sure what the difference really is, but they say it has something to do with the terminology being standardized throughout the industry. I guess publishing really only refers to written products and let's face it, Clickbank sells software too. So I guess this makes sense.
Another change, and for the better, is that tracking IDs can now be up to 24 characters long. So when you're promoting a product, you now can be a lot more specific with your TIDs. Personally, I don't use them as I have my own way of tracking Clickbank sales. But if you use TIDs, this should come as a pleasant change to you.
My favorite is account closures. You can now do these yourself without having to actually call up Clickbank and have them do it. Simply log into your account, go to account settings, click on edit for your account information and at the bottom of the box you'll see a link that says "close account". It will then walk you through some "are you sure you want to do this" stuff before you actually can close your account. Make sure this is something you want to do.
Finally, installment products are no longer offered for sale. I never made use of this feature so don't even ask me what it was for. But if you sold installment products, you're out of luck. They are being discontinued.
And there you have it. Those are the latest changes from the Clickbank marketplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment